7 Common Running Injuries
posted: May 31, 2018.
7 Common Running Injuries from Our Sports Chiropractor in Buford, GA
The number of people who consider themselves joggers or runners now exceeds 65 million in the United States. Running is a low-barrier sport that doesn't take specialized equipment or specialized skills. Participants include the casual morning jogger and the long-distance marathon runner. While distances, shoes, terrain, ability, and climate may differ, there are common running injuries that can occur. Often our sports injury chiropractor near Buford at Georgia Spine & Sports Rehab can help with natural chiropractic care and pain management. Here are 7 common running injuries:
- Plantar Fasciitis - Your foot has a series of ligaments and tendons that run from the heel to the toes. When tears occur in these tendons and ligaments from running, it results in plantar fasciitis. This is probably the most common of running injuries. Building your core and spine strength can reduce the chances of this common injury.
- Achilles Tendonitis - When the tendons that attach calf muscles to the back of the heel undergo excessive stress, the result is often Achilles tendonitis. Ice can often provide relief and massage therapy can also increase blood flow to the area to promote healing. Something as simple as avoiding high heels or/and flips flops can help you avoid Achilles tendonitis.
- Runner's Knee - Known by the medical term, Patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS) is an irritation under the kneecap that can occur after running long distances or on inclines. Physical therapy, chiropractic care, and heat can often provide relief and a path to wellness.
- Shin Splints - This is common in new runners who tend to over-exert themselves too quickly. This results in tears in the muscles around the shin bone. Ice and rest can help, as can Kinesio Tape that is available at our sports injury chiropractor near Buford at Georgia Spine & Sports Rehab.
- Hamstring Issues - The hamstring is the large muscle that runs down the back of the thigh. A sudden hamstring injury can take a lengthy recovery. Hamstring recovery can benefit from chiropractic active release technique (ART) and deep-tissue massages.
- Sciatica - Sciatica is back pain that extends down the leg and is often caused by a slipped or damaged the disc. This can occur when a runner stumbles or missteps and the back and or hips twist awkwardly. A chiropractic adjustment can be the start healing sciatica and relief from the discomfort it causes.
- Back pain - Often back pain, particularly lower back pain, is a complaint of runners. This can be prevented from regular chiropractic adjustments, keeping the neuromuscular system in proper alignment. Chiropractic adjustments also serve to ease lower back pain, allow the body to restore itself naturally.
Contact Our Sports Injury Chiropractor Near Buford for More Information Today!
If you've experienced a sports injury from jogging, running, or another athletic activity, see our sports injury chiropractor at Georgia Spine & Sports Rehab. We are the official team chiropractor of the Atlanta Falcons and a five-time winner of “The Best of Gwinnett” award. Contact us for an appointment at 770-614-6551. For pain management, sports injury treatment, and rehabilitation visit Georgia Spine & Sports Rehab at 4325 South Lee Street in Buford, GA.